Friday, June 27, 2014

Paranoia About Sentient Ninja Bunnies

Sure, that got you to click. No, I don't actually believe that the rabbits I've seen while running are actually spies sent by one of my more devious friends, but it's an inside joke I enjoy referencing.
Running. The first step is the hardest? No. The first WEEK is the hardest. I need to stretch more, drink more water, or something, because on Wednesday, I could barely get out the door due to how sore every step was. Getting out of my chair? Better be an emergency. Getting off the couch? Nope. Nope. Nope.
However, in the 3 days I've actually gone out at sunrise to run around the university campus, I can already see improvement. I'm actually running more than half of the distance. Plus, while it took 1 hour from when I left my house to when I checked the time on return on Wednesday, I have now installed a free running app, and I can officially say that I am freaking SLOW.
That's the distance from my front door, up the hill to the top of the campus "hourglass" as I call it, down the hill to the bottom, and returning home. With a few pauses for stop lights, walking to catch my breath, etc. No map shown because I don't want stalkers.
Considering in 11th grade Track & Field, I was able to run a mile (on a flat track made for running) in 6:05 at a race pace, I think I'm slow now.
This app isn't smart enough to understand what an average pace goal is, but I think I can reach 8:00 mile average if I keep repeating this loop every Monday, Wednesday, Friday like I have been.





Next step: learn how to cook more than just ramen, mac&cheese, rice, and whatever other junk food I find, in order to properly offset those 468 calories so I don't look like a starved rat.

Too bad MIT isn't a culinary school, I could find some classes on their OpenCourseWare on that. Now that I'm limiting my computer gameplay to 3 hours a day, free time has given me a chance to finish 2 more lectures in their public Algorithms course. Sadly, that's all the productivity I can really attest to. Facebook, some game-related forums, and general time wasting has been filling in the rest. Oh and sleep, at random times of day. Which has actually made it easier to go running at sunrise, because I'm already wide awake and don't have to motivate myself to get up as an additional obstacle. That was an odd subject-jumping rant. Good thing I'm not an English major.

I feel like this blog has become less about my "School Days" and more about my "Mental Processes" but it's summer. I'm not going to worry about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment